Given its moderate climate and abundant vegetation, it's no surprise that Northern New Jersey is home to dozens if not hundreds of species, many of which are mainly active in the spring and summer months.
While silverfish, crickets, and cockroaches are certainly pervasive, stinging and biting insects like mosquitoes, ticks, ants, and wasps pose a serious risk to kids and pets who want nothing more than to play outside.
What’s more, burrowing creatures such as mice and rats can damage plants, trees, and even structures like garden sheds and garages. Given that the average homeowner spends around $5,000 on landscaping, plus the cost of mowing, fertilizing and watering, it's easy to see why protecting that investment from destructive insects and animals should be a priority.
How to Protect Your Yard
Keeping your yard pest-free during the summer and all year long will protect your investment in and ensure your family has a safe and pleasant place to enjoy the outdoors. The good news is, it isn’t difficult. A few simple steps can help prevent pests from taking up residence in your yard.
Eliminate Unnecessary Wood
Termites are one of the most destructive insects in the natural world, and they rely on the cellulose and moisture in wood to survive. Most homes are constructed using at least some wood – some more than others – and obviously, you can't eliminate it.
However, most yards offer a variety of potential food sources, aside from wooden elements of the house itself. If you remove unnecessary wood from your yard and garden, you'll reduce termites' available food and the possibility of termite activity.
Here are some examples of unnecessary wood that might be in your yard right now:
- Railroad ties or wooden borders around flower beds and along walkways
- Planters and raised gardens – consider concrete or terra cotta options instead
- Fences and decks: brick and stone are a better choice; if you can't replace wooden structures, have them regularly treated by a pest control specialist to prevent termite damage
- Mulch – there's some debate as to whether termites are attracted to mulch as a food source, or solely for the fact that it keeps the ground cool and moist. Consider replacing mulch with pea gravel or have mulched areas professionally treated
Discourage Rodent Activity
Rats, mice, and other destructive mammals like gophers, skunks, and moles can have a devastating impact on your yard, digging up bulbs and seeds, destroying trees and plants, and creating instability in areas where they dig their burrows.
Mice can be particularly damaging to sheds, barns, and other garden structures, chewing up wood, cardboard, and insulation to make nests and leaving behind harmful waste.
To discourage rodents from encroaching on your yard, follow these simple guidelines:
- Rodents are opportunistic, and they’re attracted by food. Don’t store dog food, bird seed, or other potential snacks in sheds or barns, and don’t leave uneaten dog food out on the porch.
- Get rid of materials in your yard and around your home that rodents might use for nests.
- Clean up fallen leaves and underbrush, and cut tall grass. Don’t give mice a place to hide.
Schedule Routine Pest Management Services with a Reliable Company
The best option for maintaining a pest-free summer yard is to engage a professional to perform routine inspections, apply appropriate pesticides, and eradicate rodents using bait, traps, and repellents.
Pest control companies use a combination of methods to prevent infestations safely and effectively, and most provide warranties for their services, so you can rest assured the job has been done right.
Dial Environmental is Your Go-To Partner for a Pest-Free Yard
For most families, the yard is one of the most important features of the home. We spend countless hours and thousands of dollars to create and maintain our yards, and they’re a source of pride, enjoyment, and shared memories that far outweigh the money we spend on them.
Dial Environmental can help protect your family’s investment with regularly-scheduled pest control services using environmentally-friendly products that are safer for kids and pets.
- Choose TermaPlus® Termite and Pest Control for general pest management plus termite control
- To protect your home from destructive burrowing pests, ask us about HomeCare Pest Control. We’ll install and monitor rodent stations and provide year-round maintenance services including an annual basement cleanup.
- Keep biting bugs away with our Mosquito & Tick Control Program, which offers routine pesticide applications that deter crawling insects and rodents as well as mosquitos, ticks, and fleas.
Don’t let pests damage your yard this summer – call Dial Environmental to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment.